Manali - Rohtang Pass - Keylong

after a 15 hour drive from the Delhi through traffic jams and pouring rain along with news of the earthquake, I finally reach my 1st destination Manali. I am re-visiting Manali after few decades - my childhood memories of the area was one of enjoyable walks amongst apple orchards & what do I see? A bustling market place replete with all goodies for shoppers! Not a great feeling. My Hotel Beas is a 2 mins walk from the central area and is right on the banks of the River Beas. aahh some reprieve!My first task is to visit the tourist office for my onward journey to Keylong & Leh. that done, I check out the area around including near my hotel - it is far too crowded for my liking.

altitude of various places : Manali 2050 msl; Rohtang la 3960 msl;  Keylong 3349msl

The next morning I leave for the next destination i.e Keylong. It is a good drive via the famous Rohtang Pass and comparatively easier than what awaits me the following day. some views of the area
Blue Whistling Thrush at my hotel in Manali



above & below - the winding road taken from above


above & below - Rohtang Pass




HPTDC's Hotel Chandrabhaga - Keylong. Travellers are allotted tents for the overnight halt

the peak referred to as "the lady of Keylong" - Keylong is a small town in the Lahul & Spiti region of Himachal Pradesh and is a convenient stopover for those travelling on the Manali - Leh route

view of Keylong town

silhoutte of Oriental Turtle Dove taken at dusk

No comments:

Post a Comment